Author Topic: Oil Pump - S-series.  (Read 2659 times)

Offline HBwoodworking

Oil Pump - S-series.
« on: February 20, 2024, 06:56:55 PM »
I am not sure that I bleed the oil through the lines correctly or at all.  Is there a way to check that all parts that are suppose to get oiled when pumped are getting oil?  I honestly not sure what parts the pump are oiling.  Im almost at that 1 year mark and want to make sure I am doing all the needed maintenance unless someone know if there are companies that I can just pay to come out and do scheduled maintenance (NE FL)

Offline drew

• Administrator
  • If'n it ain't broke yet, just give me a minute.
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Pump - S-series.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 08:28:17 AM »
I am not sure that I bleed the oil through the lines correctly or at all.  Is there a way to check that all parts that are suppose to get oiled when pumped are getting oil?  I honestly not sure what parts the pump are oiling.  Im almost at that 1 year mark and want to make sure I am doing all the needed maintenance unless someone know if there are companies that I can just pay to come out and do scheduled maintenance (NE FL)

mine is set up to pump for 5 seconds every 650 minutes... but... that's just because that's what i set it to after researching it when i took delivery of the machine, and i've never changed it. 

truth is, it isn't needed.  the same fill i did three years ago is still in the reservoir...

after every run of HDU foam or PVC, which have dust/particulates that are notoriously grippy due to static, i'll wipe everything down with spray silicone lubricant... other than that, once a week i'll wipe the glide rails with the same silicone lubricant and then hit the helical rails with same... the little straw on the spray can makes it easy to bend and direct the spray upward toward and into the rails... then, drive the machine around the bed... wipe everything down... blow/vacuum out the control box, and you're good.

the only real bi-annual/500hour maintenance is cinching down the Y azis motors to the rail (re-seating them) and scrubbing the gunk out of the helical rails.  checking your tram and adjusting if needed (Stupid Simple Tools has a decently functional TRAM tool for a benji that's worth getting)...

pro-tip:  spray the silicone spray liberally on both glide and helical rails, make sure it's distributed by moving the axis's around, and then walk away... come back in the morning or next day and wipe it off... that silicone spray 'sets up' and leaves a dry film, and debris don't stick to dry film as easily.  White Lithium is superior to the silicone spray, but, it makes a mess and attracts debris.  the silicone spray doesn't.  use a non linting rag to gently wipe the rails, then use the same rag to wipe down the machine to keep it puuuurty. 

another pro-tip:  if you use the auto lubrication pump, you're going to want to make sure the machine is in motion when/as you pump it... otherwise, the oil pressure has the ability to push the bearings out of the glide rail slides.... you'll find tiny ball bearings here and there around your shop.  that doesn't mean the machine is down if you lose some- it just means you've introduced play by opening some tolerance between the glide and rail and that the gantry can literally rise whatever thous those missing bearing created when they vacated... it'll be apparent, sometimes, when you run a 2.5D cut on a fairly large model (that requires decent linear move of the Y axis).  when the machine is in motion and the oil distributes, it provides escape for the oil that otherwise can push the bearing off their seat.